I am really excited to be reporting some major horror news for our town. Fangoria is bringing their legendary weekend of horrors convention to Austin for the very first time. This is an amazing opportunity to be host city to such a major event. I’ve been reading Fango since I was a kid and it in no small way made me the movie fan I am today. We are excited to partner with FANGORIA to help make this an amazing event that Texas gorehounds will not want to miss.
In addition to supporting (and attending) the convention, we will hosting a number of official 35mm screenings at the Alamo Drafthouse at the Village. The movies, a mix of new and retro titles, will include:
MOTHER OF TEARS, Dario Argento’s latest (courtesy of Myriad Pictures, who will release the film to theaters in April/May 2008) is the final film in the "mother" trilogy, started by Suspiria and Inferno.
INSIDE, the French bloodbath that Fangoria raved about here. (courtesy of Genius Entertainment/Dimension Extreme; due on unrated DVD March 2008) We are UNBELIEVABLY jazzed to welcome back to Austin one of our absolute
favorite films of Fantastic Fest 2007. “Lean, mean, tight, ruthless and bloodier than
a slaughterhouse floor,” INSIDE spends one night inside the home of an expectant
mother as she fights off a psychopath hellbent on a premature C-section.
STORM WARNING, Jamie (URBAN LEGEND) Blanks’ intense survival shocker (courtesy of Genius Entertainment/Dimension Extreme; due on unrated DVD February 5) features some of the most uncomfortable moments we’ve seen in years, at least for those members of the audience with male genitalia.
SEED, the Uwe Boll serial killer thriller with the highest body count! Boll will introduce the film. (Courtesy Boll KG)
MANIAC COP 2, the superior 1990 sequel, to be introduced by director William Lustig.
FRIDAY THE 13TH, PART VII: THE NEW BLOOD, to be introduced by cast and crew in support of the film’s 20th anniversary
TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2, Tobe Hooper’s 1986 follow-up, to be introduced by cast members
The Fango/Alamo fright film fest will be held at the Alamo Drafthouse Village Theater (2700 Anderson Lane) and will be free for all Weekend of Horrors attendees with a convention badge or hand stamp. Shows will take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday (January 18-20), with movies unspooling at 9:45 p.m. and midnight each night. Check back to the Alamo website for more details: . A very limited number or movie tickets will be available online, the remainder of tickets are reserved for Fangoria Weekend of Horror attendees.
Check out the entire guest roster at the official Fangoria Weekend of Horrors website.
The three-day convention itself will take place at the nearby Renaissance Austin Hotel (9721 Arboretum Boulevard; about two miles from the theater). Other guests/programs set for Fango’s Texas blowout include:
• Jared Padalecki: SUPERNATURAL star who also appeared in the fright flicks HOUSE OF WAX and CRY_WOLF
• Robert Rodriguez: director of GRINDHOUSE, SIN CITY, FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, DESPERADO, THE FACULTY and the SPY KIDS trilogy
• Angela Bettis: actress from MAY, TOOLBOX MURDERS, MASTERS OF HORROR: SICK GIRL, ROMAN, CARRIE remake, BLESS THE CHILD and new 3-D bloodbath SCAR. Also appearing: SCAR director Jed Weintrob and producer Norman Twain
• Tom Savini: makeup FX legend and fan favorite from DAWN OF THE DEAD, MARTIN, CREEPSHOW, FRIDAY THE 13TH, MANIAC, DAY OF THE DEAD, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2, FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER and many more. He is also a director (1990’s NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD) and actor (KNIGHTRIDERS, FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, GRINDHOUSE)
• Dick Durock: SWAMP THING movie and TV star! Also from STAND BY ME, RAW DEAL, A-TEAM
• William Lustig: director of MANIAC, RELENTLESS, VIGILANTE and MANIAC COP trilogy, as well as owner of Blue Underground DVD company
• FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VII: THE NEW BLOOD reunion: with director/FX creator John (TROLL) Buechler; lead actress Lar Park (HOUSE II) Lincoln; co-star Kevin (SUBSPECIES II) Spirtas; Jason himself, Kane Hodder; and actor William Butler, who has since segued into directing horror features like MADHOUSE and FURNACE
• Donnie Dunagan: actor from Universal horror classics SON OF FRANKENSTEIN and TOWER OF LONDON; voice of young BAMBI
• Gary Kent: actor on countless exploitation and genre films (DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN, SATAN’S SADISTS, THE THRILL KILLERS, ANGEL’S WILD WOMEN, THE MIGHTY GORGA, etc.), and BUBBA HO-TEP stunt coordinator
The Southwest convention will also host a costume contest, dessert party (free for Gold and Silver customers), giant dealers’ marketplace, FANGORIA TV screenings, a jam-packed indie horror movie festival and advance previews of 2008’s hottest fear flicks. Discounted hotel rooms are already available at the Renaissance Austin Hotel: call (800) 468-3571 or (512) 343-2626 to book. For more information on the conventions, go to www.fangocon.com, and watch this website for regular updates.