We're incredibly excited to announce the launch of something of a sister festival to Fantastic Fest: Forever Fest! Founded by Alamo Drafthouse head programmer Sarah Pitre and publicity director Brandy Fons, Forever Fest fulfills a place in festival programming that has been sadly overlooked until now: it's a place for "fans of female-centric films, books and TV to come together and celebrate their obsessions without shame." Sarah started the overwhelmingly popular Girlie Night programming at the Alamo, and this feels like the next logical step.
Forever Fest will take place in Austin the first weekend in November, and they've already secured an indisputably rad lineup:
- EMPIRE RECORDS screening with star Ethan Embry in attendance, followed by a Rex Manning Day party.
- Book talk with Jessica Morgan and Heather Cocks, creators of Go Fug Yourself and authors of Spoiled and Messy.
- Danceoke: Your favorite cinematic dance routines performed live on stage while the scene plays on the big screen.
- The Cute Show: an adorable clip show presented by BuzzFeed and guaranteed to make you squee.
- CAN'T HARDLY WAIT 15th anniversary screening with star Ethan Embry in attendance.
- Screening of the John Hughes classic SIXTEEN CANDLES with select talent in attendance followed by the ultimate '80s high school dance.
- The Wild Brunch: A mimosa-fueled salute to the hottest men in cinema.
- Advanced screening of a buzzworthy new film.
Here's a glimpse of Danceoke, another kickass piece of programming started by Sarah for the Drafthouse:
But as this is Forever Fest's inaugural year, Sarah and Brandy need your help to ensure that it's truly and wholly amazing - bigger and better guests and events will be secured through your contributions. Support their Kickstarter campaign, which includes a huge amount of really fun and affordable perks.
I love Fantastic Fest more than anything on earth, and I'm also unbelievably excited about Forever Fest. The great thing about movie lovers is that we contain multitudes: our favorite films can include at once CLUELESS and EVIL DEAD 2, and the Alamo is fast becoming the brand that wants to fulfill all of those interests within us. So damn the man! Save Forever Fest!
Support the Kickstarter here.
Check out the Forever Fest website.
Follow Forever Fest on Facebook and Twitter.